A lightened up twist on the old classic!
Poppyseed chicken casserole was probably the ONLY casserole I enjoyed growing up..okay, well aside from green bean casserole but that’s a twice a year thing. My mother is the queen of casseroles. If it can be a casserole, she has made it into one.
Hashbrown casserole, meat and potato casserole, mixed vegetable casserole, sweet potato casserole, cornbread casserole, I would keep going but I might gag.
My disgust for casseroles came to a halt when we would sit down to dinner with poppyseed chicken casserole. It was creamy, loaded with chicken and so flavorful. I have kept all those things in this lightened up version, with half the cals that mom’s traditional.
This is the PERFECT thing to make for meal prep as it reheats so well. I suggest serving with a high fiber side like roasted broccoli or Brussel sprouts!
1/6 bake per serving
13 fat | 35 carb | 33 protein | 4 fiber
Poppyseed Chicken Casserole
- 500 g rotisserie chicken, no skin shredded
- 200 g egg noodles dry weight
- 2 10.5 oz can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup
- 150 g non fat greek yogurt (I use fage)
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 10 Ritz crackers crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add egg noodles and boil until throughly cooked, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Add the pasta to a large bowl along with the chicken, cream of chicken, yogurt, and poppyseeds. Combine until well incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place into a 9×13" casserole dish that has been sprayed with olive oil spray.
- Crumble Ritz crackers on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- This recipe can be made gluten free by using gluten free noodles, gluten free cream of chicken and gluten free crackers.
- To make dairy free, vegan or vegetarian, substitute a plant based sour cream for the cream of chicken, plant based yogurt, plant based chicken for the chicken and use traditional pasta instead of egg noodles.