I mean, the title says it all here. Your favorite ingredients stuffed into a baked potato but now into a soup. This soup is creamy, flavorful and balanced with protein, carbs, fats and fiber. I can’t think of anything better to cozy up to during these cold winter days.
Does this soup not scream winter? It’s so filling, warming and so easy to make! I almost called this broccoli cheddar potato soup because it really gave me the Panera Bread broccoli cheddar vibes (incredible).
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP:
- Don’t dice your potatoes too large. Big pieces take longer to cook, and can be difficult to get onto a spoon when eating.
- Consistency of the soup is completely up to you and the immersion blender.
- For a thinner soup, add more stock.
- Yukon gold potatoes are my favorite to use in this soup, as they are not as gritty as russet potatoes.
- I definitely recommend peeling the potatoes for this soup.
About 448 grams per serving
290 calories per serving
10 fat | 21 carb | 29 protein
2 grams fiber per serving
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large (233 grams) onion diced
- 4 slices turkey bacon diced, (Columbus brand from costco is incredible!) (reserve more for the top if desired)
- 2 lb Yukon gold potatoes peeled, diced into 1/2' chunks
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 12 oz can low fat evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 oz low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar shredded (reserve more for the top if desired)
- 12 oz cooked chicken breast diced
- 1 large head (177 grams) broccoli florets diced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- chives for garnish
- extra bacon for garnish
- extra cheese for garnish
- Add a slight drizzle of olive oil to a dutch oven or large heavy bottomed pot. Add onions, bacon and cook 2-4 minutes. Add in diced potatoes, broccoli and pour in chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a high simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Whisk cornstarch into evaporated milk until no lumps remain.
- Add cornstarch and milk mixture to pot along with the cream cheese, shredded cheddar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer 5 minutes or so, until slightly thickened.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to desired consistency (you have the option to add the broccoli after this step if you do not want it pureed). Then add the diced chicken.
- Pour into bowls and add desired toppings!
- This recipe is naturally gluten free
Recipe inspired by The Chunky Chef’s Skinny Crockpot Loaded Potato Soup!!