Otherwise known as Adam’s love language. I took a classic meatball, and added in a few ingredients to really help with the moistness. Usually when I am cooking with 93/7 turkey, a meatball can be dry, but in an effort to keep the fat low, I chose to go with the same turkey, but add mushrooms to aid with moisture.
Not a fan of mushrooms? Totally OK. Neither is Adam. He didn’t even taste them in this. But he did say these were the most moist meatballs I’ve ever made. And I agree! Sautéing them in the marinara sauce also aids with keeping these moist.
How many times can I say moist?
Macros are for the meatballs and sauce only so you can add your own hoagie and amount of mozzarella on top!
3 meatballs per serving
18 fat | 13 carb | 33 protein
As always, the recipe is logged on MFP. Just search Rushing to the Kitchen and Meatball subs! Don’t forget to add you own roll and cheese on top!
- 1.5 lbs 93/7 ground turkey
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 175 g white onion diced
- 5 ounces portobello mushrooms diced
- 2 tbs Italian herb paste can sub Italian seasoning
- 2 ounces fresh parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce I use Gia Russa
- 5 hoagies
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil and parsley chopped
- In a food processor, pulse the onions and mushrooms until finely chopped. This just saves time, but you can dice by hand finely.
- Add 2 tsp olive oil to a nonstick pan over medium heat and add the garlic, onions and mushrooms. Add salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes.
- In a large pan, combine the ground turkey, cooked onions and mushrooms, Italian herb paste, parmesan cheese and plenty of salt and pepper. Mix with your hands.
- Roll into about 1.5 ounce balls. These are hefty sized balls.
- Place back into the pan and brown each side for about 2-3 minutes. We arent cooking the turkey throughly, we are just browning the sides. You want to be gentle with them!
- Add in two cups of marinara and cover with a lid. allow meatballs to finish cooking in the sauce. should be about 10 minutes.
To assemble hoagies
- Take your hoagie roll and split open. I take out a bit of the inside to allow for the meatballs to sit nicely.
- Add three meatballs with adequate sauce to each roll.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts thoroughly.
Leave a Reply