This Mexican pizza recipe is layers of taco seasoned chicken and beans sandwiched between two crispy shells and topped with plenty of melted cheese and toppings. Move over Taco Bell!
MEXICAN PIZZA VARIATIONS
This version of Mexican pizza is similar to what they serve at Taco Bell (Adam used to be obsessed), but you can always switch up the ingredients to customize the dish to your tastes.
- Meat: Instead of chicken, use ground beef, ground turkey, or diced steak.
- Fillings: You can add other fillings such as corn, diced green chiles, mushrooms, or sautéed bell peppers.
- Toppings: Feel free to add an assortment of toppings such as cilantro, sour cream (I sub non fat greek yogurt for more protein), avocado, sliced jalapeños, hot sauce or salsa verde.
For the tostada and tortillas, here are the brands I used
makes 8 pizzas
1 pizza per serving
8 fat | 27 carb | 28 protein |
Mexican Pizza Tostada
- 8 tostada shells (I used chipotle flavor)
- 8 street taco flour tortillas (I used chipotle flavor)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb chicken, raw chunked
- 2 tbs adobo (optional)
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning (I use low sodium)
- 14 oz can refried black beans
- 1 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 (70 g) roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 (55 g) red onion diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the garlic and chicken to the pan, season with adobo, lime, taco seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, warm the refried beans.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place 8 tostada shells on a sheet pan. Add 15 g of cheese to each one and place a tortilla on top. Spread about 40 g of refried beans over each tostada, then top each one with 60g cup chicken. Place into oven allowing cheese to melt.
- Top each pizza with tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and avocado.
- To make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free tortillas!
- To make this recipe dairy free, use a dairy free cheese!