Last week I asked y’all what new holiday dessert I should make this year. Almost every answer involved nuts, so pecan pie made a comeback but in a cake roll form! A very overstuffed cake roll ha.
This recipe is delicious and a great adaptation of my old pecan pie oreos (last years winner). I adopted the sponge cake recipe from Lifemadesweeter and it was perfect.
2 large eggs
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting towel
3 tbs butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
Pinch of salt
1 stick butter, softened
2 oz cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp molases
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 15x10x1 baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with baking spray (or grease and flour). Set aside.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a large, clean dish towel (same size or bigger than baking sheet). Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl until frothy, gradually add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks and eggs for 2-3 minutes. Add sugar, water, and vanilla and beat an additional minute until fully incorporated. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt and turn the mixer to low until just combined. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour into prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 9-12 minutes or until the cake is golden or springs back when gently pressed in the center. Make sure to keep a close eye on it after 7 minutes so it does not overcook.
- Remove from oven carefully with oven mitts or towels and immediately flip cake onto the prepared powdered sugar towel. (This will cause the powdered sugar to splash everywhere – this is normal) Peel off parchment paper. Place a clean sheet of parchment paper over the back of cake and roll cake up in towel carefully (from short end to short end). Cool for one hour.
- For the caramel filling, add the ingredients to a sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk. Let come to a boil and boil for 30 seconds. Remove and let cool completely.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar, extract and molasses.
- Toast pecans over low heat.
- Unroll the cake when it is completely cooled.
- Gently spread the frosting over the cake and add about half the of the pecans. NOTE- use about half to 3/4th of the frosting…mine was far too filled lol.
- On the end that you will roll first, which will ultimately be the center, add the caramel filling. I recommend adding about 3/4th.
- Roll the cake back up and top with powdered sugar, cinnamon and the remaining pecans.