I mean, come on. Pasta, meatballs, pesto, melted mozzarella and herbs. What’s not to like in this?
This recipe was actually meant to be made with quinoa, but I quickly discovered when you add pesto to quinoa, you get a pretty unappetizing color, so the switch to orzo was made along with the addition of some turkey meatballs which are packed with flavor on their own.
Did I mention this is a one pan meal? If melted mozzarella didn’t catch your attention, that most certainly did.
262 grams per serving
437 calories | 45 carb | 17 fat | 29 protein
Search Rushing to the Kitchen Pesto Orzo with Meatballs on Myfitnesspal.
Pesto Orzo with Meatballs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz 93/7 ground turkey raw weight
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 shallots diced
- 62 grams red onion finely diced
- 10 oz orzo raw weight
- 1/4 cup pesto I used Barilla rustic basil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock or water
- 84 grams mozarella pearls chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh basil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, combine the ground turkey, garlic, red onion, oregano, rosemary, 1 tbs of the basil and plenty of salt and pepper. Roll into small balls.
- Place a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil, shallots and meatballs.
- Allow meatballs to brown slightly on all sides. We aren't cooking them throughly yet, just browning the outsides for some golden color.
- Add in the dry orzo and chicken stock (or water) and pesto.
- Cover, place into the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed and orzo is cooked.
- Remove from oven and add mozzarella pearls and top with remaining fresh herbs. Salt and pepper to taste.