Want to elevate a BLT? Here’s how.
- 5 slices turkey bacon
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 150 g white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BACON JAM
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and place the bacon strips down. Cook over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway until the bacon is crispy. Use tongs to remove the bacon from the pan. Set aside.
- Keep the drippings in the pan. Add the onions and salt to the pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes then reduce the heat to medium. I add the stock in 2 tbs increments as they cook and caramelize. Add the sugar and stir. Continue to cook until the onions have caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.
- Chop the bacon and add back into the pan along with the black pepper. Increase the heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring about every five minutes, until the onions are thick and jam-like, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir. Taste for seasoning and salt if necessary.
To assemble the salmon sandwich, I toasted ciabatta bread and smeared both sides with a good portion of my adobe mayo (equal parts light mayo and chipotles in adobo sauce with a pinch of garlic salt). Then I added some spinach, grilled salmon, slice of tomato and 33g of the bacon jam.
Leave a Reply