I mean, come on. Who doesn’t like a Sloppy Joe? A messy and flavorful American staple if you ask me.
Okay, maybe not a staple, but growing up in my household they were. If it wasn’t a sloppy Joe, it was a casserole (mind you, we are from Alabama and are about as southern as they come). My mother’s love (and lack of cooking knowledge..sorry mom) for easy, one pan dishes is the exact reason you don’t see a lot of them on my food blog… there’s nothing I hate more than a casserole.
But sloppy Joe? I can work with that. I tried my hardest to gourmet-ify it. I also made it much healthier than the traditional can of sugar you are used to dumping into ground beef and calling it a meal.
So, that’s what I did. And what do ya know, these turned out better than I could have ever expected.
166 grams per serving
11 fat | 25 carb | 23 protein
*recipe macros are for the meat mixture only, this does not include the bun and toppings*
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 140 grams onion diced
- 175 grams red bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb 93/7 ground turkey
- 1/2 cup ketchup Great Value Organic is my favorite
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce Fox Bros BBQ sauce is my recommendation
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the olive oil, onion and peppers to a pan over medium heat. Cook until slightly translucent and then add the garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Add in the ground turkey and cook throughly.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve warm.